Day 8 : Made It

Made it through the first week of blogging every day! Yay me!

However, I didn't make it through one of the things I wanted to do here, which was NOT change the layout/look of this page. Oh, some things I just can't help myself over. So I lost my blogroll and my Stellan badge, I'll have to get those back one of these days soon, but in the meantime, I might just keep looking for a look I like. Lots of L's.

Don't really feel like writing much, I'm not feeling focused right now, so maybe a collection of facts about me? Let's go:

  • Seven days after my nineteenth birthday, I was electrocuted by my clothes dryer. At the hospital they called it a "flash by lightening strike" which means lightening passes through an object (the dryer vent on the outside of our house, through the dryer) and into you. I got hit in the shins, beneath both legs, and the force of the shock lifted me up off the ground, blew me back about four feet, where I landed on my butt and then smacked the back of my head into the floor. The doctor's at the hospital also called this "An Act of God," which I thought was bull. I call it "Having The Worst Luck Possible." I had to stay at the emergency room, getting numerous EKGs while the doctors debated on whether to shock my heart back into normal rhythem, but thankfully they didn't have to do that, and I was fine in the heart department. They told me to watch out for brown pee, because that means my kidneys were failing. Who knew one of the biggest threats of electrocution, after heart problems and burns, is kidney trouble? I do now! My legs, from the knees down, turned red, then dark red, then purple, then back down the ladder of bruising again. I couldn't feel anything below the knees for about a week, and when the feeling started coming back, it was pins and needles for another week, which was even more painful than the bruising. I was told I was very lucky that I had no burns. I agree. Now, I'm afraid of electricity. I hate thunderstorms, I hate plugging things into outlets, I hate static. I will not do laundry if it is raining, and I dont' care how unreasonable that sounds. I won't do it.
  • I hate bananas. I don't know why, but I can't eat them. The smell of them makes me nauseous, and sometimes I gag. I can't be around people eating them, including my daughter, who loves bananas. I won't buy them for her. She eats them at her father's house and at her grandparents outs, but when she eats them at my parents house, I leave the room. I have no explanation for my loathing of bananas, but I don't think there is a more offensive smell in the world. I'd rather smell poop all day than bananas.
  • I love history. Lately, I've pretty much only been reading non-fictional history books, or world events books, or political books. I am almost finished reading a book about the Mayflower, called "Mayflower" although it actually gets way more in depth than that, going on to talk about the settlers and their decendants, and their wars with the Indians. Since I live in New England, this book is particularly interesting, because so much happened here. After this, I'll be reading a biography on Henry VIII, which I bought because I started watching The Tudors on Netflix, and just knew right away the show was loosely based on actual events, it was just so way over the top. The best biography I ever read was one on Marie Antionette, a fascinating story (her poor children didn't deserve what they got), and my favorite historical work I've ever read, is most certainly A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn (GO READ THAT!) and, of course, our Constitution. If ever I am to return to college, which I would love to do but have so much trouble doing because it sucks all the free time out of my life, I would go back for General Studies with a focus in history, and take all the history and law classes I could. However, I am not sure how practical that would be, because what do you do with a history major these days? I certainly don't want to be a teacher.
  • I have a lot of aches and pains. Some people call me a hypochondriac, but I disagree. I learned a long time ago that if you are feeling pain, that means your body is telling you that something is wrong with it, so you should do something about it. Two winters ago, I started feeling awful pains in my back, mostly at night. The pain was right in the middle of my back - not my shoulders, not my lower back which just aches a lot from sitting down all the time - but just below my shoulder blades. Stretching didn't help, massage didn't help, and no one could tell me what parts were behind there that could be hurting so bad. One night the pain got terrible, unbearable, and I had my mom drive me to the emergency room at three in the morning. I was given pain medication immediately and sent for a CT Scan. My gallbladder was blocked with stones, five times its normal size, and horribly infected. I had an operation to remove it within hours. It was an emergent situation. Listen to your body, people! Anyway, my hips hurt a lot, mostly when it rains. Everyone in my family has had arthritis, and my mother, and both maternal grandparents have had their knees replaced. That's right, six knees that came before me have failed. My mom was only fifty when she had hers replaced. I figure I'm well on my way to a joint replacement, but I fear it might be my hips and not my knees. Double ouch. I also think I might have the beginnings of tendonitis or carpal tunnel, because oh, how my hands and wrists hurt at the end of the day. Evidently I type too much. Well, sorry hands and wrists of mine, because the only time I'm going to stop typing is when I'm dead. Or when words flow directly from brain to screen. Lastly, I have this thing on my arm, a new mole, a mole that doesn't look like any other mole I've ever had, and I'm fearing it's skin cancer. Go ahead, I see what you're thinking. You think I'm a hypochondriac. Well, I thought I had a backache and I had an organ that needed removing. Perhaps its best to err on the side of caution and milk my health insurance for all its worth while I still am fortunate enough to have it.
Ugh, okay, enough for today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment