Day 5 : Rushing

I'm going to try to type as fast as I can here, which probably won't be that fast if I am to be legible. Squido is at her dad's house tonight and I went to "Tuesday Night Dinner" at my friend's house and had a few too many beers before making the slow shuffle home and settling in for an episode of Six Feet Under with my buddy Michelle.

Tuesday Night Dinner has been happening for as long as I can remember being friends with Brad, the guy whose house it's at. Probably going on five years now. Every Tuesday night a bunch of us friends gather, a core group of, oh, I dunno, ten or fifteen people with others passing through frequently or not. It was Brad's idea to start a tradition of having a certain place and a certain time for all of us to count on being able to go and get a home-cooked meal in a friendly, family like setting. This coming at a time when mostly all of us were finally living on our own away from parents and such, and the thought of it is really nice and genuine, to know you have some place to go. It's like Cheers. Where everyone knows your name.

For the last two years I have tended not to go in the winter time because the apartment is not that big, and there tends to be quite a few people there, and there are not many places to sit/chairs in which to sit in. I know it sounds weird, maybe, but hey, I just like to sit down sometimes and if I have to stand around a kitchen for two hours or more a pop, I start to get a little tired of that, and what with it being winter and too cold and uncomfortable to go outside and sit on the porch/stairs/lawn, I get crazy and don't like it. But summer is great, sitting on the porch, sipping beers, eating great food with good friends.

I'm feeling very disjointed and un-smooth with my transitions here, but there is this cute guy named Nick that works at the liquor store I buy my beer from (actually I've been going to that particular store mostly to see the guy, their beer is overpriced and I could certainly get better deals elsewhere,) and tonight I went in there to get some of my favorite Bud Light Limes and we were talking briefly about the weather, because that is what all strangers talk about, oddly enough, and he said these words:

"I get up at three every morning to take a shower and then I stay up for a little bit and then go back to sleep until 9 or so," and I said: "That is really bizarre, why do you do that?" and he answered: "Because I remember my dreams better that way, and I'm a writer, so I need all the inspiration I can get."

And right then customers came up to him to make their purchases and the converstation got cut off, but I laughed, and he laughed, and all I wanted to do was say to him. "I write about zombies, what do you write about?" But then there were three people behind me in line and I didn't want to hold anyone up and look like a moron for trying to flirt or whatever with this guy, so I just left. So now, I keep thinking about it. A writer?? (SWOON!!) What does he write about? How I would like to get to know this cute liquor store boy better, and my god, I just can't drum up the self confidence to try to do anything about it.

Maybe tomorrow night I'll write about what I want in a man, because that has been on my mind so much lately.

Annnnddd... Goodnight.

Oh, side note. This Once A Day, Every Day thing.. I do realize that it is past midnight, so "technically" I have missed a day writing, but listen. My days consist of the moments between when I wake up and when I go to sleep again. This is still today for me, it won't be a new day til I get up in the morning. Can we all agree on that here?

0 comments:

Post a Comment